Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry Orange bar
Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry

Update an existing license

Licensees are required by law to notify the Department of Labor and Industry, in writing, within 10 days of a change in their license, which applies to individuals holding personal licenses, registrations and certifications, and businesses and contractors holding licenses and registering bonds.

Changes to business/contractor licenses and registrations (bond filings)

To ensure timely updates to business and contractor license information, the appropriate form needs to be submitted prior to the change or as soon as possible after the applicable change.

Change in business name - Change business legal name and/or assumed name, or add assumed name.

Change in business structure - Change legal status from sole proprietor, partnership, limited liability company, limited partnership, limited liability partnership, corporation to a different legal status.

Change in business or mailing address (PDF)

Change in responsible person - Licensed businesses and contractors required to designate a responsible licensed individual must notify DLI immediately when this individual leaves employment or ceases being the designated responsible licensed person. The appropriate forms are available online by clicking here

Change in business owners/officers - A change in owners and officers with a licensed business or contractor may trigger disclosure to DLI of the change. Disclosure is required when a new owner acquires at least 10 percent ownership stake in the business entity. Disclosure is also required when the officers for a business change. Disclosure would also be required when partners are added to a partnership and when members are added to a limited liability company. The following business and contractor licenses required to disclose their owners and officers are:  residential building contractor, residential remodeler, residential roofer, manufactured home installer, electrical contractor, elevator contractor, technology system contractor.

Change in general liability insurance - Licensed business/contractor must submit a certificate of liability insurance immediately when there is a change in liability insurance.

Change in workers' compensation insurance - Licensed business/contractor must submit a certificate of compliance with Minnesota's workers' compensation laws immediately when there is a change in insurance coverage, which includes changing the certification from exempt to obtaining insurance coverage.

Change in bond - Replacement of a bond is generally not accepted. However, for those situations when a bond may be replaced, the licensed business/contractor must file it with DLI before the bond will replace the previously filed bond.

Changes to personal/individual licenses, registrations and certifications

Change in licensee's personal name - Submit a letter explaining the name change to DLI. Include a copy of your license card or certificate, registration card or certificate, or certification that clearly shows your former name; and include legal documentation showing the name change (i.e., a copy of marriage certificate, court documentation).

Change of licensee's mailing address - Submit a personal license address change form or send the address change details to dli.license@state.mn.us to updated a personal license.


Please Note: The Department of Labor and Industry does not accept cash as payment for licenses, inspections, copy requests and other DLI services. Accepted methods of payment include checks, money orders and electronic payments that can be made through the DLI Web site.

DLI home page | Directions and maps | News and media | Website disclaimer