Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry Orange bar
Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry

Electrical licensing and continuing education

bullet Check the status of continuing education credits: License Lookup

bullet Look up approved continuing education courses

bullet Minnesota Rule 3800.3600 to 3800.3603

Continuing education requirements for license renewal

Applicants for renewal of the following individual electrical licenses must have earned approved continuing education credit to renew their license:

Electrical Continuing Education (Can take ALL CODE)

Code 1
Non Code
Master electrican (AM, BM)
No CE required for first year of license
12 4
Journeyman electrican (AJ, BJ) 12 4
Maintenance electrician (MN) 12 4
Lineman (LN) 0 0
Installer (Class B) (IB) 12 4
Power limited tech (PL) 4 12
Satellite installer¬† (SI) 4  
Unlicensed electrician (RE, RT) 2 0

The licenses identified above cannot be renewed unless the license holder has earned hours of continuing education credit within the license term immediately preceding their license expiration date, or until hours of credit are earned and license renewal fees are paid. Individuals who fail to renew their license by the expiration date are unlicensed until they submit their renewal form and fee, and the license is issued by the Construction Codes and Licensing Division. Licenses that are not renewed before the expiration date are subject to a late fee equal to one year's license fee. License anniversary dates (effective dates) do not change based on date of renewal. Licensees who fail to renew their licenses within two years beyond expiration are required to retake an examination to regain licensure in accordance with Minnesota Statute 326.242, Subd. 7. Credits may be used for more than one type of license if earned in the over-lap period of the license terms. Credits totaling more than the minimum continuing education hours cannot be carried over into subsequent license terms.

Lineman licenses are not required by statute or rule and therefore are not within the definition of "electrician license" and consequently are not subject to continuing education requirements.

Continuing education requirements for unlicensed individual registration renewal

Unlicensed Individual - Electrical
Unlicensed individual - Power limited technician

Registered unlicensed individuals performing electrical work must have earned two hours of approved continuing education credit and pay the registration renewal fees to renew their annual registration. The hours need to be earned before the registration's expiration date. And, the registration renewal fee must be received by the department before the registration expiration date. Individuals who fail to renew their registration by the expiration date are unregistered and prohibited from performing electrical work until the registration is properly renewed. Credits totaling more than the minimum two hours cannot be carried over into subsequent registration periods.

DLI approved continuing education courses

Educational courses are available through technical colleges, electrical trade associations, inspector's associations and commercial providers. CCLD will also conduct seminars on the National Electrical Code, which will be eligible for credit, and may provide other programs as needed. A directory of approved courses is posted online by DLI. Sponsors of continuing education courses are required to report individuals' attendance directly to the department, which allows the department to update licensees' and registrants' continuing education to "Met" in preparation for the individuals' eventual renewals.

Continuing education courses without DLI approval

Education courses offered in another state and not approved by CCLD must be approved for continuing education credit by the department. Courses that may be approved for credit in Minnesota include courses approved by a unit of government administering electrician licensing requirements in that state and that also meet Minnesota requirements. To receive credit for attending a program in another state that has not been preapproved by CCLD, a Continuing Education Course - Individual Application for Approval form needs to be submitted with:

  • a copy of the certificate of course completion;
  • copies of all course materials (handouts); and
  • the appropriate application fee.

Credits may be used for more than one type of license or registration if earned in the over-lap period of the license terms. Credits totaling more than the minimum hours cannot be carried over into subsequent license terms.

Continuing education course completion certificates

Although providers of educational programs are required to report continuing education credits directly to CCLD, sponsors are still required to provide individuals attending programs for credit a certificate of completion. These certificates should be kept by the licensee and sent to the department only if requested in the event that complete information is not received from the sponsor of continuing education.

Send questions regarding licenses and continuing education to dli.license@state.mn.us.
Include contact information, license or registration number and other pertinent information in the email message.

DLI home page | Directions and maps | News and media | Website disclaimer